Re: digital album making choices and photo management

H.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Could some users share their photo management experiences in Debian
> here? I have this little project at hand. The objective is to make a
> digital album of family pictures to be given to family members on a CD.
>
> I am thinking on the lines that the CD should have self contained
> digital album. The photos should be accessible directly and easily as
> well as through some sort of cross platform photo browser run directly
> from the CD. So the pictures may put in one top level (or second level)
> folder, perhaps called Pictures. A user can directly access the images
> there to view using their own software. Additionally, there could be a
> digital browser wrapper that access those pictures through an interface
> so that the user may browse the pictures without firing up their own
> application.
>
> One option is to export the album to an HTML format. Digikam has such an
> option, I am playing around it a bit. G-photo (Gnome) also has similar
> functionality albeit a very very limited one. Another option is to have
> a java based photo browser on the CD but haven't found a Debian package
> that does this. The second option assumes, obviously, that the user has
> java already installed.
>
> What have other users here experienced? Any comments on the above
> approaches? Any other alternatives worth investigating?
>
> thanks,
> ->HS

I have been using kphotoalbum for quite some time.  It has an excellent
database for tagging photos.  The plugins allow you to export in various
ways.  You can export to cd, create a slidewhow, export to flickr, export
to html for buiding web pages etc.  I was the "official" photographer for
my kids field trips and burned a cd for the teacher as well as posting
the photos on a web site.  The teacher would load the photos in a
powerpoint presentation for use later.  All in all it worked very well.
I've got about 6000 pictures in my database now and its very easy to
find them - as long as I've tagged them appropriately. Seems like ti
would meet your needs.

scott