Re: kernel 2.6.18+ SMP question

El vie, 12-10-2007 a las 22:02 +0200, Robert Cates escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> just a general question - I'm interested in getting a motherboard that
> supports 4 of the new AMD Quad Core CPUs.  That would be effectively 16
> CPUs.  My question is, with the 2.6.18-5-686 kernel from etch, will the
> SMP kernel work with all 16 cores?  What is actually the current limit of
> cores (CPUs) that the 2.6.18 (or newer) kernel will support?

inigo@crono:~$ cat /boot/config-2.6.18-5-686 | grep CONFIG_NR_CPUS
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=8

This was the "vanilla" config also.

If you want more CPUs, you will need to compile.

greetings

P.D. be careful with top, if you press '1', on a 25 lines term, with 16
cpus, you only will see the headers, and not process information :-)

P.D.2 on top, if you press 'f', then 'j', then 'enter' you will see a
new column titled 'P', where you will see the CPU that is using each
process. Press 'W' to make it permanent.