Re: debian kernel bugs / or is it grub?

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 02:03:05PM +0800, Richard wrote:
Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

I find it hard to understand how ubuntu can boot when debian
can't. I'm willing to be that if you end up reinstalling debian again,
it just works. shrug.

Back in Ubuntu again after another unsuccessful install-round with
Debian.

Are you reinstalling ubuntu to the same drive you are trying for
debian? or using some other drive and swapping stuff around?

Yes, Exact the same drive configuration. Just put the Ubuntu disk in the DVD-drive after an unsuccessful Debian-session and install on the same hard disk. Did not change anything in the BIOS or so. But Ubuntu and other distributions see my 2 ATA + 1 SATA HD's as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc. And Debian makes from my two ATA hd's /dev/sdf and /dev/sdg

I ask because all those errors you posted make me still think you've
got some hardware problem. BUt I'm no expert by far.

Well guess what: Because I also wanted to see what Mandriva 2008.0 looks like, I installed that on the drive I wanted to use for Debian (again also just the same BIOS settings). And ... as I expected there is no problem at all to install it and to use it.

So what, if any differences are there between the ubuntu install and
debian install. And I mean *any* differences: changed cables, changed
drive order on cables, swapped drives, anything.

No difference: no changed cables, no changed BIOS settings etc.

Also, as an aside, you could try debian from the ubuntu install using
debootstrap. Instructions here:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apds03.html.en

Will think about it :-)

good luck

Thanks

Richard

PS Since I used Lilo last time to boot I guess I can say grub is not the cause of the problem. Now I suspect it is udev and/or the lack of support for the Intel P965 chipset. But it is only Debian related.

PPS I now installed Mandriva on the 'Debian drive' because I expect I will not really use that a lot and will format the soon again to make place for Debian. (If Debian let me)