Re: Problem with amixer or ...

I've finally revisited this so should update you folks...

Andrew Sackville-West suggested purging and reinstalling alsa-tools,
alsa-base, and alsa-utils and then not running alsaconf at all.
Without running alsaconf, sound still doesn't work, and, for example,
xmms gives me the 'Make sure your soundcard is configured' box.

Chris Lale asked: 'Can you set a new sound level for Master in
alsamixer? Is the new level persistent?'; I can't do anything in
alsamixer, as attempting to invoke it gives me
  alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument

I think 'I think that the problem may lie with amixer. If I run
"amixer scontrols", it reports almost all my settings at zero!' is
very near the heart of the problem.  'amixer scontrols' gives me:
  amixer: Mixer default load error: Invalid argument

'amixer controls' gives me somewhat more useful output:
[...]
numid=7,iface=MIXER,name='Surround Playback Volume'
[...]
amixer: Control default snd_hctl_elem_info error: Invalid argument

And if I manually set
amixer -c 0 cset numid=7 80%
I do get a non-zero volume - that is, I have sound.  The volume and
balance controls in gxine, xmms, etc. don't do anything, but this is a
start.

In answer to Florian Kulzer, the relevant lspci line is:
  00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
I'm not interested in a kernel upgrade just at the moment but will
check out the links provided.  I'll have to see whether passing
additional parameters for the snd_hda_intel module is the key.