Re: HELP! can't become root

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 01:16:27PM -0500, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 11 October 2007 13:04, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 October 2007 13:04, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > > I seem to recall once I did a chown -R something and it followed the
> > > /. and /.. links in the directory so that it started walking up the
> > > directory tree. luckily I stopped it. Perhaps chmod -R is doing a
> > > similar thing?

> > That does /not/ happen with any utility's -R. They don't walk up the tree
> > with ../ , it would be way too dangerous to have any utility work that way.
> > Think about it. Below are some exampoles using * and even .* to prove it
> > (it's a little hard to read with line wrapping):
>
> Actually, I was wrong! (partially) and it's somewhat frightening. It does
> indeed climb up one level - just one, I don't know why.
>
> (please note that in my examples I'm using a combination of ls -l and ls -ld )
>
> Running chown -R .* does in fact, change the ownership of just one level up:

> However, this would mean the OP had to do something like:
> cd /dev
> ch[mod] -R .*
>
> because chown -R * does not climb the tree like .* does.

maybe OP did

cd /
chown -R /dev/.*

in an attempt to get any hidden files in /dev? or maybe the finger
slipped. In any event, I *knew* I had encountered something like this
with chown affecting *WAY* more than I thought it should. IIRC, it ran
through my whole mail spool instead of just one user's stuff or
somthing like that.