Re: (etch) Using aptitude after using dselect - any issues?

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 11:41:02AM +0100, Martin Waller wrote:
Thanks for the input - I asked because I thought I'd seen warnings about using aptitude after using dselect since installation. I am using aptitude now without apparent issue, although my system isn't a very complex setup and I'm on stable.

Don't top post.
:( sorry
The first things to do:

	Run aptitude interactively (no command args)
	Select options, tell it not to include recommends.

	Then, go down the list of all packages and if its one that you
	yourself don't specifically want installed, then mark it as
	automatic.  Continue going down the list.  When you think you
	have it all good:

	hit 'g' to see what aptitude would like to do.

	If its wrong, fix it (marking things manuall, install,
	whatever), then it 'q' to go back to the main screen.  Then hit
	'g' to see if its correct.

	When everything in the first 'g' screen is correct, hit 'g'
again and it will clean out any cruft build-up you have.
	Then you can continue to use aptitude as your package manager
	and it will keep the system tidy.

Doug.

OK - thanks