Re: HELP! can't become root

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 09:47:04AM -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> On Thursday 04 October 2007 20:30, Rob Mahurin wrote:
> > Can you "sudo chmod" to repair your permissions damage?  I can send
> > you an output from "find /dev -ls" if you don't have another machine
> > to compare against.
>
> Indeed I have no machine to check my /dev perm's. If you could send me the
> output I'd be much obliged. If you want to send it direct:
> kloro2006@gmail.com.
>
> I got my fonts back by giving the correct permissions to my home directory and
> to .dmrc. Now the only clear problem is being able to log in as root.

the problem is that three minutes of chmod'ing down into /dev is going
to change permissions on all sorts of stuff in the system. You now
probably have significant numbers of binaries that are 777 and
shouldn't be, for example. If you really want to fix it, you'll have
to look at a whole system tree.

Or reinstall a bunch of packages in hopes that it fixes up the
perms. Find one that you know is wrong and do an

aptitude reinstall <package>

and see what happens. If it fixes the perms, then I'd follow it up
with

dpkg -l | awk '/^ii/ {print $2}' | xargs aptitude reinstall

untested.

The perms of /dev should fix themselves up automatically on reboot as
udev should be recreating the devices on the fly.