Re: HELP! can't become root

On Thursday 04 October 2007 20:30, Rob Mahurin wrote:

> [...]
>
> > I've been running the system for the last couple of days. The only
> > visible problems are:
> >
> > 	the font stinks for firefox.
> > 	i can't become root, not even in single-user mode, but I can 'sudo' all
> > I want.
> >
> > is it possible I could fix the two problems without having to reinstall?
>
> Can you "sudo chmod" to repair your permissions damage?  I can send
> you an output from "find /dev -ls" if you don't have another machine
> to compare against.
>
> Rob
>
> --
> Rob Mahurin
> Dept. Of Physics & Astronomy
> University of Tennessee 	phone:  865 207 2594
> Knoxville, TN  37996   		email:	rob@utk.edu

Rob,

Indeed I have no machine to check my /dev perm's. If you could send me the
output I'd be much obliged. If you want to send it direct:
kloro2006@gmail.com.

I got my fonts back by giving the correct permissions to my home directory and
to .dmrc. Now the only clear problem is being able to log in as root.

I am running KDE for my desktop.

Thanks,

tom