How to access RS-232 console from terminal?

Hey guys,

I know this may seem so obvious but I have no experience with this at all. Basically I want to access the console interface of a network interface device using RS-232.

I am pretty sure linux/unix has built in support for this but how does it work?

Do I just plug it in?

Where do I set the baud rate?

And I usually need to transfer files via the 1K Xmodem protocol. Do I need an external software for this?

At work we use windows terminals to access these devices (using built in HyperTerminal program or PuTTY). But I would like to recommend the use of debian etch.

Thanks!

--
Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439@csun.edu>