KDE Adept updater, Synaptic apt-get, Xserver issue

I have seen this for years but until now I just left it alone. I now need to
be able to allow someone else to do some of the system updating & they are
not as experienced as I so they are less likely to perceive this as simply a
quirk. When I do an update or any other function from the xserver screen in
KDE with any Debian system update app I get this message from the app:

dpkg-preconfigure: cannot connect to X server :0.0
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Kde
debconf: (DISPLAY problem?)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 398019 files and directories currently installed.)

It is a source of irritation to me. I tried switching the Xwrapper.config
to "allowed_users=anybody" (against my better judgement) but that did not fix
the problem. I do not run these as root but instead use the root password
from the xserver screen when asked for it.
Any other suggestions?
--
John W. Foster