Major application resource leaks in Etch

While copying 30MB of text from a backuppc (web-based) log on a remote server, I ran into several problems:

1) Selecting the text using the Iceape edit->select-all menu option pegs the 2.8GB CPU at 100% for tens of seconds, although it is much faster in subsequent attempts.

2) Each repetition causes two 60MB clipboard cache files to appear in /tmp. They persist after logging out of Gnome.

2) Pasting the text into kedit, or cutting it, pegs the CPU from 10s of seconds to a few minutes, and virtual memory usage approaches 2GB, increasing each time I repeat the operation. (I stop before 2G only to avoid swapping. I have no evidence that the leak is bounded.)

Since I am aware of the clipboard files I probably could probably safely delete them, but most users would be forced to reboot when their system mysteriously becomes unresponsive.

It doesn't appear to be Etch-specific. I duplicated the problem in Sarge using Firefox, but the symptoms differed: the CPU usage delays were greater, but only one clipboard file was produced after each text selection, and this was reflected in 50% less virtual memory leakage.