Re: [Fwd: Re: 'manual' x configuration - where's xf86config?]

---- snipped ---
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier    "Default Screen"
>     Device        "matrox"
>     Monitor        "DELL D1226H"
>     DefaultDepth    24
it says here that you are selecting 24 bit color mode
--- snip more ---
> and here's my /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
>

> X Window System Version 7.1.1
> Release Date: 12 May 2006
> (--) MGA(0): VideoRAM: 4096 kByte
it only detects 4MB of video RAM

the best you can expect is 1024x768 with that amount of RAM, and that
is what it says it is using later.  If you have more RAM you may be
able to specify the actual RAM in the video section of Xorg.conf
file.  If you actually have only 4MB of RAM and 1600x1200 resolution
then you will have to change the DefaultDepth to either 16 bit or 8
bit color.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org