resize the partition with /

Hi all,

I have a problem with an old desktop running etch.  Before it was
running XP + etch dual boot.  But recently I have deleted the whole XP
 partition.  Now the problem is I started running out of space for the
etch.  I want to resize the partition so that I can install more
programs and stuff like that.  The current partition is like

hda1 - 5G  (before running XP)
hda2 - 1G ( etch is living here)

So I'd like to resize hda2 but I can't as it said I need to unmount
hda2 before resizing.  People suggest using a live CD but it's not
possible with my old laptop (I didn't even install etch using CD, I
can only install etch via goodbyemicrosoft.com).  USB boot is also not
available.

Any suggestion would be welcome.  What I want to do is to be able to
apt-get upgrade stuff as right now I have only <5Mb of space in hda2.

Thanks a lot!

Manu