Re: resize the partition with /

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 04:17:42PM -0400, Manu Hack wrote:
I have a problem with an old desktop running etch.  Before it was
running XP + etch dual boot.  But recently I have deleted the whole XP
 partition.  Now the problem is I started running out of space for the
etch.  I want to resize the partition so that I can install more
programs and stuff like that.  The current partition is like

hda1 - 5G  (before running XP)
hda2 - 1G ( etch is living here)

So I'd like to resize hda2 but I can't as it said I need to unmount
hda2 before resizing.  People suggest using a live CD but it's not
possible with my old laptop (I didn't even install etch using CD, I
can only install etch via goodbyemicrosoft.com).  USB boot is also not
available.

Have you considered reinstalling onto hda1 without removing hda2?
Or mount hda1 at some point on hda2 where you need the extra space. Voila! 5 GB extra space. You could also remove hda1 and recreate several partitions if you want to add space at multiple points in your filesystem.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com