euro symbol in xterm (fvwm)

I'm testing UTF8 performance on my Etch machine.  Everything seems fine with
one exception: the Euro symbol doesn't display in my xterms (under fvwm).

If I go with iceweasel to

     http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/multilingual1.html

a Euro symbol is nicely displayed.  If I copy and paste the symbol into a
file, and run od on it, I get the octal sequence 342 202 254.
This is presumably the UTF8 code for the Euro symbol.  I can also generate
the code by feeding groff the code "\(Eu".  Unlike iceweasel, though, the
xterm doesn't display the Euro symbol.  (In general, I think it displays
only those symbols that were defined in ISO8859-1, although I am testing
the UTF8 codes for those symbols.  It does not correctly display the
ISO8859-1 codes unless I convert them to UTF8 with iconv.)

Xorg.0.log shows some errors about non-existing directories under
/usr/share/fonts/X11, and then sets FontPath to:
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi

The problem is likely in my old ~/.fvwm2rc, which shows:

Style *           Font -adobe-times-bold-r-*-*-18-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

There is no adobe-times font on my system, so I don't know what font is
being substituted, or which font I should substitute.

So how do I find a default font for my xterms that will display the UTF8
Euro symbol?  Thanks.