Re: Spring clean

Pál Csányi wrote:
> 2007/9/29, andy <geek_show@dsl.pipex.com>:
>> Can someone recommend a newbie-friendly easy, and safe way of cleaning >> house so that I can retain those packages that I need (and want) but can
>> clear out the dust bunnies, etc..?
>
> If you use aptitude, or synaptic then you must to manually select
> there packages you want to purge. After you have purged those
> packages, you should to purge orphaned packages, I think. For this you
> may to use 'sudo aptitude purge $(deborphan)' command.

For the inverse operation (select what you want to keep, discard everything they don't depend on) check out `debfoster'. The first time you run it, it asks about roughly every package you've got installed, which is rather tedious. Thereafter, it uses that info to weed out stuff you don't want. I suspect that `want' != `need', so ill-advised choices may hose your system.

	Best wishes,

		Max Hyre

debfoster is a wrapper program for apt and dpkg. When first run, it
 will ask you which of the installed packages you want to keep
 installed.
 .
After that, it maintains a list of packages that you want to have installed on your system. It uses this list to detect packages that have been installed only because other packages depended on them. If one of these dependencies changes, debfoster will take notice, and
 ask if you want to remove the old package.
 .
 This helps you to maintain a clean Debian install, without old
(mainly library) packages lying around that aren't used any more.