Env var on the fly

Having defined (in my .bashrc) the environmental variables for computing suites
X and Y (PATH to them) it happens - because of some bug in X - that on running
certain programs of Y, executables of X are called (and of course not found).

If I undefine the env var X, all programs of Y run perfectly.

Is any simple way to define the env var X on the fly, when X is needed, without
having to use X as another user? (which would overcomplicate the matter because
there is an scp link from the computing machine to and from a desktop, where I
am).

debian linux amd64 etch on the computing machine, where my .bashrc. deain linux
i386 etch on the desktop.

Thanks
francesco pietra

Need a vacation? Get great deals