Re: Nspluginwrapper on AMD64

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 13:06:20 +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:

[...]

> Since, I am tracking sid, I have the latest version of
> flashplugin-nonfree on the system (9.0.48.0.2).

OK, I just wanted to make sure. As I said before, this version works
"out of the box" for me on my Sid/amd64 system. Unfortunately, this also
means that I don't know too much about the details of the
plugin-wrapping mechanism.

[...]

> I purged nspluginwrapper and flashplugin-nonfree and installed them
> again. Here is the final result:
>
> <snip>
> Download done.
> Flash Plugin installed.
> /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin: /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin: cannot execute binary file
> nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
> dpkg: error processing flashplugin-nonfree (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  flashplugin-nonfree

[...]

> Am I missing something in the installation chain that is causing this?

Maybe the viewer cannot be executed because you are missing some
component of X (or some other library) which is assumed to be present
and therefore not specified as an explicit dependency. Do you run an
unusually minimalistic Xorg install?

Looking at the post-installation script, it seems that things go wrong
at the very last step, which is:

nspluginwrapper -n -i /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so

According to the manpage, this is meant to install the wrapper for
libflashplayer.so into the mozilla plugins directory. It also seems to
test if the viewer itself is executable and that is not the case on your
system.

I would first run these commands:

ldd /usr/bin/nspluginwrapper
ldd /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
ldd /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin

Maybe that will turn up a missing library.

Also, just to be sure, check if your running kernel supports 32-bit ELF
executables:

$ egrep 'ELF|IA32' /boot/config-$(uname -r)
CONFIG_ELF_CORE=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION=y
CONFIG_IA32_AOUT=y

Finally, you could try to run

nspluginwrapper -v -n -i /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so

and hope that the verbose mode provides additional clues.

          Florian   |