Re: rescue bootable cd ???

On 09/28/2007 09:25 PM, helices wrote:
* Bill Thompson <Billt@Mahagonny.com> [2007:09:28:16:18:26-0700] scribed:
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:27:02 -0500
helices <helices@helices.org> wrote:

What do you do?

If you are looking at just recovering a system that won't boot, you don't need a specific Debian disk to do it. I usually carry a copy of the System Rescue CD (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page). It has all of the tools I need to recover a downed system. If I need to work on the Debian system itself, I mount the drive and chroot into the partition. Once there I can su to root so that I am using the proper Debian environment, run apt-get to update software, and test the configuration of any of the installed services or utilities.

Why re-invent the wheel?

Well, because the two (2) systems on which I have experienced these -- to me -- insurmountable boot problems were running lvm on top of software raid 5. I was NOT able to get to the root filesystem files using debian rescue cd nor knoppix. Both times this happened, it had something to do with initramfs; but, after many, many days of struggle, it became easier to rebuild from scratch, and to restore specifics on top of that from tape.

What am I missing?

I don't know, but you might try Bill Thompson's suggestion of System Rescue CD as well as the new Knoppix CD, 5.1.1.

As far as initramfs is concerned, I suggest removing it from the equation by compiling a kernel with everything you need to access the disk built directly into the kernel; don't rely on an initrd at all.

To attempt to answer your first question, I'll say "look at the Debian Installer." You can probably create a specialized installer CD for your environment; however this is much harder than using a Knoppix CD.

To attempt to answer your second question, I'll say "talk to the Debian Installer developers." Finding out what parts of the installer CD need to be updated when the O/S is updated is complicated enough to require the input of the experts.

Now I have a few questions:

What version of Knoppix failed for you before?

Do you have a separate /boot partition that is on a filesystem that Grub can recognize? Read the document "info grub intro features" to get a list of supported filesystems.

If /boot is on a Grub-supported filesystem/partition, is the initial root disk on that partition?

Is /boot on an lvm volume? (Probably not, because the system wouldn't boot.)