Re: rescue bootable cd ???

* Bill Thompson <Billt@Mahagonny.com> [2007:09:28:16:18:26-0700] scribed:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:27:02 -0500
> helices <helices@helices.org> wrote:
>
> > What do you do?
> >

> If you are looking at just recovering a system that won't boot, you
> don't need a specific Debian disk to do it. I usually carry a copy of
> the System Rescue CD (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page). It has all
> of the tools I need to recover a downed system. If I need to work on
> the Debian system itself, I mount the drive and chroot into the
> partition. Once there I can su to root so that I am using the proper
> Debian environment, run apt-get to update software, and test the
> configuration of any of the installed services or utilities.
>
> Why re-invent the wheel?

Well, because the two (2) systems on which I have experienced these --
to me -- insurmountable boot problems were running lvm on top of
software raid 5.  I was NOT able to get to the root filesystem files
using debian rescue cd nor knoppix.  Both times this happened, it had
something to do with initramfs; but, after many, many days of struggle,
it became easier to rebuild from scratch, and to restore specifics on
top of that from tape.

What am I missing?

--
Best Regards,