Re: efficiency of windows managers

On 9/27/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 04:41:12PM -0400, Manu Hack wrote:

> > > You might need more RAM
> >
> > I agree. :) But I'm still confused as to why KDE can outperform (at
> > least up to my experience) a supposedly light weight wm (maybe
> > windowmaker is not lightweight enough, will try fluxbox later) on the
> > same machine.  Is that because of something like memory management or
> > something like that?
>
> its probably got more to do with memory *use* than management. By that
> I mean, you may end up wasting memory by using kde apps within a
> different wm. The kde apps will load up whole bunches of kde libs in
> order to function in addition to the libs used by whatever wm you're
> using. You haven't said what your 10-15 windows are doing, so I'm only
> guessing. Also, it what ways does kde perform better than windowmaker?
> is it in overall response of the system? screen drawing? window
> dragging? just switching from one app to another within the same
> workspace?

More windows are pretty standard, like gaim, iceweasel, icedove,
xchat, amule, etc.  The thing happened is that whenever I need to move
to a workspace with more than 3 windows already there, it takes
seconds to "reload" and always give me a window on top which is not
previous on the top.  I don't know why but it never happened in KDE or
Xfce.

> > The reason I'm asking is that I want to change because before I
> > thought I can improve the efficiency by using a more lightweight wm
> > but it turns out it's not true in my case.  So maybe as long as the
> > memory is enough to use KDE (or GNOME), KDE can be faster than those
> > lightweight wm because they use more memory?
>
> you should do some more comprehensive testing to see if you can figure
> out what's going on. keep an eye on a top instance or two and sort
> them by processor usage and memory usage. That will give some
> insight.

Yeah, will do if I have the time.  But at the moment I'm very happy
with xfce4.4 (fast and with the real transparency stuff). :)