Re: How to reply in the mailing lists

On 9/25/07, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:38:29 -0400
> "Michael Marsh" <michael.a.marsh@gmail.com> wrote:
> > For me, it's a matter of all clients sucking.  Gmail gives me the
> > google search algorithm over my mailbox, google talk in the sidebar
> > (not used often, but very handy on occasion), and no reliance on a
> > third-party SMTP server to send mail (unless gmail now provides SMTP).
> The Google search is undeniably valuable, and I occasionally use the
> web interface for that purpose, but for regular use, my preference is
> for the practical benefits of control and flexibility that *nix mail
> clients offer.  In addition, I have an ideological preference for free
> software and the aforementioned control.  In any event, my comment to
> which you are responding was in response to raju's suggestion to use
> knode.  BTW, Gmail does provide SMTP.

I may have seen the SMTP support, but that certainly wasn't the case
at one point.  When they provide IMAP access, I'll consider moving
some of my gmail use back to other clients.  POP's a bit of a pain
when you access the account from multiple machines.  I also noticed
that POP doesn't fetch your spam, which is nice, but spam counts
against your quota, and contrary to their claims it doesn't seem to
get cleared out after 30 days.  I had one account that built up to
something like 30% usage while I was accessing it via POP.  Cleaning
out the spam brought me down to under 1%.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh