How to reply in the mailing lists

Im sorry if this isnt the best place to voice such a question, but I
am a bit new to mailing lists and so on.
I was wondering how to reply to a message but in a way so everybody in
the list gets it, but without starting a whole new thread.
I am a gmail user so if this question makes no sense, I apoligize, but
those of you who do use it probably have noticed how gmail
conveniently groups conversations together. Is there a way of replying
that will keep that intact?