Re: Etch + USB Modem -- Supported?

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 11:28:54AM -0700, Ted Williams wrote:

> i need to get another (dial-up) modem for my linux
> box. does the most up to date version of Etch support
> USB modems 'out of the box?' (ie- without a lot of
> heavy configuring, like kernel recompiling.)
>
> and if so, which USB modems are known to work well
> with linux/Etch?
>
> [i wanted to go with USB, if possible, so i could
> switch it easily from one box to another.]

Well you certainly got lots of answers to not your question :)

I've yet heard of a better dial-up modem than an external
3Com/US-Robotics Courier.  They are serial.  So, if you want to plug it
into a USB, add a USB/serial adapter.  Simple.

As for price, I got mine off Ebay from Telus for $50 US.  The firmware
is still upgradable if you need it.  If you really want a new one, I
think they go for about $400 CDN.

Performance-wise, I have a really, really, noisy phone line many miles away
from the telephone exchange.  That modem keeps the connection going
unless the phone totally drops off (hangs up).  Unfortuanly, that
happens too often on voice, yet alone downloading a CD.

Doug.