Re: trying to do an upgrade to my debian etch system

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 01:06:16PM -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> I am trying to do an upgrade to my debian etch system and get the following
> error message. What should I do about it. (i did an update just before the
> upgrade attempt.)
>

> Unpacking replacement x11-common ...
> dpkg: error
> processing /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%3a7.1.0-19_i386.deb
> (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/bin', which is also in package pythonol

it looks like pythonol is a spanish language learning tool written in
python, but its not in the debian repositories. Where did it come from
and why the heck does it muck around in /usr/X11R6/bin? It definitely
shouldn't do that, but being outside of standard debian, who
knows. You can force it with

dpkg --force-overwrite <package>

but be forewarned that forcing anything is bad and you should try to
find what's going on with pythonol.