Re: Spamassassin and Exim4

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 03:36:45PM -0400, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> Trying to get spamassassin and exim4 playing together.  I do not want exim to
> drop email, only to add headers to the message so that the MUA can filter
> messages according to the users preference.

I've recently done this on my server, comments below.

> I have spamassassin running as a deamon on port 783.  I've verified that I can
> telnet to the port:

SA should log to /var/log/mail.info, and that's a good place to look
for info...

> root@etch:/etc/exim4/conf.d/acl# telnet localhost 783
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
>
> In /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/02_exim4-config_options, I have this line:
>
> spamd_address = 127.0.0.1 783
>
> In /etc/exim4/conf.d/acl/40_exim4-config_check_data, I have:

A great resource for info on this is:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch41.html

what I learned:

>   warn
>     spam = nobody

this only performs the actions below when the mail is actually spam,
otherwise its ignored. use nobody:true to force it to always put the
headers on, because the :true will override the results of checking
for spam content.

>     add_header = X-Spam-Score: $spam_score ($spam_bar)
>     add_header = X-Spam-Report: $spam_report

the $spam_report can be very long and you probably don't want to put
that on mail that is *not* spam, so set up two tests for spam... see
below:

  # this test will always return true and will put the scores and bars
  # on *every* mail
  warn    spam      = nobody:true
          message   = X-Spam_score: $spam_score\n\
                      X-Spam_score_int: $spam_score_int\n\
                      X-Spam_bar: $spam_bar\n\

  # this is supposed to post the spam status and report only for actual
  # spam for later procmail processing
  # note that exim caches the results of the original spam=nobody call
  # so there is little overhead associated with the second call.
  warn   spam       = nobody
         message    = X-Spam_status: YES\n\
                      X-Spam_report: $spam_report

I hope this helps