Re: binary packages versus source

Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:
> The conventional wisdom seems to be that the kernel, libc, and various
> other compilation sensitive packages, such as mplayer, are indeed
> available in multiple, optimized flavors, and that for most other
> packages there isn't much to be gained by tweaking the compilation.

Yeah, in general, there seems little benefit to compiling everything
from source.  Sometimes people have special needs of of course -- e.g. a
really small hard disk, making it useful to omit unneeded dependencies.

> The OP is asserting that he does see major benefits from building his
> own Ruby and certain other packages; I haven't experimented in this
> area.

Maybe he used the "--disable-run-really-slowly" configure option?

-Miles

--
What the fuck do white people have to be blue about!?  Banana Republic ran
out of Khakis?  The Espresso Machine is jammed?  Hootie and The Blowfish are