Re: Odd change in .xinitrc regarding xmodmap

On 21 Sep 2007, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2007, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 10:13:27AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > > For years I've been using an .xinitrc file of this type:
> > >
> > > ---------------------------------
> > > xset -b
> > > xsetroot -solid lightslateblue
> > > exec icewm-session
> > > xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
> > > -------------------------------
> > >
> > > In the last couple of days, following an upgrade on Sid, I found that
> > > the last line was no longer being read by startx. I tried using an
> > > .xsession file without effect. Eventually it turned out that I now need
> > > to include the full path to xmodmap:
> > >
> > > -------------------------------------
> > > xset -b
> > > xsetroot -solid lightslateblue
> > > exec icewm-session
> > > /usr/bin/xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
> > > ---------------------------------
> > >

> > > Hardly worth calling a bug, I suppose, but it cost me about an hour's
> > > work to track it down.
> > >
> > > Anthony
> > Hi Anthony,
> > my understanding is that the 'exec' line is the last line activated
> > after X is started, so IIRC you need to put the ´exec' last.
> > Cheers,
> > Kev
>
> Actually, I did have the xmodmap line at the beginning previously; I'd
> moved it to the end to see if it made any difference but it didn't work
> in either place.

My solution of adding the full path to xmodmap (/usr/bin/xmodmap) worked
for a bit but then stopped. I then tried adding the line:

"xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap"

to ~/.bashrc and this does seem to do the job.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian