Re: Audacity errors

Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been online. :-(

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 01:46:51PM +0100, Barry Samuels wrote:
> On 16/09/07 13:00:27, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 11:41:04AM +0100, Barry Samuels wrote:
> > > If I start Audacity from a terminal I see a lot of errors. Is this
> > to be expected?
> > >
> > [heaps of errors snipped]
> > You seems to be having a few problems, but you aren't really giving
> > out much information.
>
> I didn't know what information might be required.
>
> > What is the output of:
> > apt-cache policy audacity
>
> audacity:
>   Installed: 1.3.3-1+b1
>   Candidate: 1.3.3-1+b1
>   Version table:
>  *** 1.3.3-1+b1 0
>         990 http://ftp.ticklers.org testing/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

OK, its a stock Debian package.

> > apt-cache policy alsa-base
>
> alsa-base:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 1.0.14-1
>   Version table:
>      1.0.14-1 0
>         990 http://ftp.ticklers.org testing/main Packages

I think you should install alsa-base anyway, although it may not help
your problem.

> > apt-cache policy alsa-utils
>
> alsa-utils:
>   Installed: 1.0.14-1
>   Candidate: 1.0.14-1
>   Version table:
>  *** 1.0.14-1 0
>         990 http://ftp.ticklers.org testing/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> > uname -r
>
> 2.6.22.6

Self compiled, or Debian binary?

> > lspci | grep audio
>
> 01:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1
> (rev 07)
>
> NOTE: Although there is a SB Live adapter pugged in to the board I am
> using the mainboard's built in sound chip Intel HDA.
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
> Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
>
> That didn't appear in the 'lspci | grep audio' output because it
> produces 'Audio' and not 'audio'.

Ahhh, then 'lspci | grep [Aa]udio' :-)

> > Can you hear anything out of your souncard when you 'play' anything?
>
> Yes. I can play, for example, midi files without problem. I can use
> Skype with microphone and speakers without problems.
>
> I did manage to use Audacity about a year ago for recording and it
> worked 'out of the box' but since then I've changed the mainboard, the
> kernel and there have been numerous Debian Testing updates.
>
> Many thanks for trying to help.

Sorry, I can't help anymore except to try the linux-audio-user mailing
list, a lot of helpful musicians/technicians who use Linux for their day
to day audio "work" hang out there.

--
Chris.
======