Re: binary packages versus source

Amit Uttamchandani pisze:

hello ,

i wonder why some of packages compiled from source are faster than precompiled debs.

for example - why the ruby interpreter in all tested version (look here ,please http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/125344 ) 1.8.5,1.8.6, 1.9 is much more faster

when is compiled from source ? because of optimization for universal architecture in debs ?

Packages compiled from source are always going to be faster than their binary counterparts. When you compile software from source there are a lot factors that are involved, most importantly the compiler on your machine and your architecture. For example, if you have the latest version on the gcc compiler, your software will perform faster because of optimizations built in to the current version of the compiler that you have. If I'm not mistaken some packages in debian or other distros still use gcc ver 3 because it is much more tested and stable. In quite a few cases, byte code from gcc 4 will be faster than byte code from gcc 3.

I hope there was no error in what I was trying to say.

so , why the developers doesn't recompile their packages ? Or why there are no
packages in two version (compiled using gcc 3 and 4 )?

Sorry  for my questions - if sounds stupid.