Re: SAMBA ground-up tutorial?

* cls@truffula.sj.ca.us <cls@truffula.sj.ca.us> [070922 15:28]:
> [This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
> I've got a Debian bastion host at a small nonprofit.
> Mix of Windoze and Macs on the LAN behind it.
> Some of the Windoze boxes have those low-end
> printers (Minolta-QMS 1100L etc) that do their
> imaging in the driver and will never work on
> anthing but Windoze.  We're using CUPS on the
> Debian box.  We want to share all the printers
> across all the hosts on the LAN.
> Is there a SAMBA tutorial somewhere that
> doesn't presume admin's knowledge of
> Microsoft SMB networking?  Can anyone who's made this
> work recommend a reference?

Hi, Cameron.

In my experience, nothing comes even close to the O'Reilly SAMBA book,
which is in its second edition (at least), and has been posted
(legitimately) on-line for access without charge.

The first edition of the book enabled me to work with SAMBA in my home
LAN about five years ago.  Then I had no need for SAMBA for a while,
and so I forgot everything I learned and needed to start from the
ground-up about a year ago.  That is when I discovered the second
edition, and found it to be very much better than the first edition
(though the first edition was adequate).  The second edition provides
virtually step-by-step instructions.

I hate Window$ with a passion, but the O'Reilly SAMBA book took the
pain out of the experience.

RLH