SAMBA ground-up tutorial?

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
I've got a Debian bastion host at a small nonprofit.
Mix of Windoze and Macs on the LAN behind it.
Some of the Windoze boxes have those low-end
printers (Minolta-QMS 1100L etc) that do their
imaging in the driver and will never work on
anthing but Windoze.  We're using CUPS on the
Debian box.  We want to share all the printers
across all the hosts on the LAN.

(At this point someone who thinks he is being
helpful barks "google samba" as if I never thought
of that.)

I've been through every SAMBA howto I can find, and
the manpages, and all of them assume you already
know the ins and outs of Windoze SMB networking.
But nobody here knows anything about it.
The documentation I can find also focuses on
volume sharing.  Printers are an afterthought.

So I wrote a samba.conf and none of the Windoze
boxes can see it with their little flashlights.
Perhaps we have to set up a proprietary name
service called WINS.  But nobody here knows
what that's supposed to look like much less how
to test or troubleshoot it.

Is there a SAMBA tutorial somewhere that
doesn't presume admin's knowledge of
Microsoft SMB networking?  Can anyone who's made this
work recommend a reference?

Cameron

[global]
     bind interfaces only = yes
     hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2.
     hosts deny = ALL
     interfaces  = eth1
        guest account = smbguest
        log level = 2
        netbios name = FLUFFYGERBIL
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

#  What does this do?
   workgroup = ourlan

   server string = %h chico (Samba %v)
#  Where is WINS configured?
    wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no
    name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
    security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   invalid users = root
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
    load printers = yes
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
[public]