Re: more kernel booting woes

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, Miles Bader wrote:

> In case anybody remembers, I was previously having problems with
> booting the debian standard kernel on my machine (a custom compiled
> kernel works fine).  In that case, the problem was intermittent:
> sometimes it would dump me into the emergency shell, where I could
> just mount the root filesystem by hand and the boot would continue
> successfully.  Sometimes that _didn't_ happen, and I guess the problem
> probably had something to do with a race condition involving the scsi
> root disk (the adaptec driver by default seems to have a stupidly long
> delay to let the scsi bus settle, like 15 seconds [my hand-compiled
> kernel uses a delay of 200ms!]).

the easy workaround for such a situation is bootarg
rootdelay=7
documented in etch release notes.

> So recently I upgraded my kernel to "vmlinuz-2.6.22-2-686" (version
> 2.6.22-4), thinking maybe things might work a bit better ... and now, it
> won't boot at all!!!  Argh...
>
> It again dumps me into the emergency shell, and I _can_ mount the root
> device by hand like I could before, using the command:
>
>     mount -text2 /dev/root /root
>
> If I then (again, as before) hit ^D to let the boot continue, it gives
> an error message like:
>
>    ...: /bin/sh file not found "auto"
>
> and then it panics and halts (sorry don't remember the exact wording of the
> message).

well the exact error message would be helpfull,
did you land into boot rescue console ?

> Have the details of the boot scripts changed between "vmlinuz-2.6.22-1-686"
> (the previous version I was running, which would boot with hand assistance)
> and "vmlinuz-2.6.22-2-686"?  Anybody have any ideas what might be
> happening?  What is this "auto"...?

could you please give more information:
dpkg -l initramfs-tools
sed 's/#.*$//;/^[[:space:]]*$/d' /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
cat /proc/cmdline

> [My root disk is a scsi disk hanging off an Adaptec AHA-2940U controller;
> it's using the "aic7xxx" driver.]

for the record, here you'll find debug instructions:
-> http://wiki.debian.org/InitramfsDebug

best regards

--
maks