Re: is my raid1 array really working??

also sprach harland christofferson <debian-user@audubonstrings.com> [2007.09.19.0308 +0100]:
> /dev/hda1       /               ext3
> defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
> /dev/hda9       /home           ext3    defaults
>  0       2
> /dev/hda8       /tmp            ext3    defaults
>  0       2
> /dev/hda5       /usr            ext3    defaults
>  0       2
> /dev/hda6       /var            ext3    defaults
>  0       2
> /dev/hda7       none            swap    sw
>  0       0
> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto
>  0       0
>

> and don't reference the /dev/mdX ?

Yes, this is *bad*. In fact, I would *not* trust your arrays
anymore. It looks like you have been mounting /dev/hdaX directly,
which means that you modified one of the two components of your
RAID1 without going through md, which means md doesn't actually know
about it.

You need to do some work here. Basic theory: boot with grml or
knoppix and:

  for each partition:
    assemble the RAID array only with /dev/hdaX and force it to run
    mdadm --add /dev/hdcX to the array and confirm that it syncs
    (/proc/mdstat)
    change /etc/fstab and replace /dev/hdaX with the appropriate
    /dev/mdX

Right now, your system is not protected by RAID1 and you might be
looking at severe data corruption already. Make sure you have
backups. Make another one.

windows 2000: designed for the internet.
the internet: designed for unix.