Re: 3d acceleration on Ati with fglrx?

>> Has anyone had any success with 3d acceleration using fglrx on Debian?
>>
>> I'm currently on Debian testing, with kernel 2.6.21-2-686 #1 SMP. This
>> is an Ati X-1400 card. I have 2d  with fglrx but not 3d. I tried the

I have a x800 XL Card and works pretty good to me!.

>> Debian packages with module-assistant and also the installer supplied
>> by AMD. but compiling failed with various messages (don't recall what
>> - didn't understand them). Googling mostly sends me back to the
>> solutions I've tried. A lost cause, perhaps?
>
> I installed the ATI Driver (proprietary version 8.39.4) and had to go
> back to kernel version 2.6.18-4-k7 to get everything working properly.
> (At least back to the 2.6.18 series). There is a conflict between the
> latest kernel and the latest ATI driver.

Why?
I think that it´s something wrong here, the problem might be inside debian
because I grab the .run file of fglrx from the main download site
and install in my system running 2.6.22.2 and 'everything'
it´s cool, I play Games, etc.

NOTE: All my instalations of fglrx are 'without' module-assistant
and my builds are generic, NOT DEBIAN BASED.

>There is a conflict between the
> latest kernel and the latest ATI driver.

A While ago it maybe true, but recently this
is not 100% true because the support has been
optimized to avoid this conflicts on the kernel.

Good Luck.
olr.