Re: Problem with Compaq Presario v6024ea laptop.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 01:49:40PM +0200, Alejandro Martorell Trias wrote:
> Hi, I'm a new debian user, and I have a problem when I install the OS.
>
> It gets correctly installed, but when you try to start Debian, grub
> correctly working, it starts checking hardware and starts kernel. Then,
> suddenly I get a blank screen, and the computer doesn't work and I have to
> reboot. I don't know how to start it. Could it be a hardware problem?
> Should I reinstall and try again? Please help
>
> Yours sincerely
>
> Alexandre Martorell

Welcome,

Assuming that you are a new user, you probably went ahead and installed
a 'desktop' system which means that if Xwindow isn't working for some
reason you'll get a blank screen.

When you get your grub menu, hit 'e' to edit the kernel command line and
add -single.  This will boot you up in single-user mode which does not
start X.

You should get a normal text-based login: prompt.  If you do, then at
least your system boots and the problem is X.

Do this, then report back what happened and we'll try to sort it out.

Doug.