Re: Thinkpad T20 wireless troubles

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:12:02 -0600
Chris Brotherton <chris@protonlab.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 10:35:51AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > Try the following:
> >
> > 1) unload and reload the driver module
> > 2) check (and post) the iwconfig output
> After unloading, reloading and plugging in the network card, my iwconfig
> output is:

I meant the kernel module; you probably don't need to physically unplug
and replug the adapter for this kind of troubleshooting.  No harm
done, though ...

> eth0      IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"" Nickname:"HERMES I"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.457 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
>           Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Sensitivity=1/3
>           Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality=0/92  Signal level=134/153  Noise level=134/153
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> > 3) do ifconfig xxxx up; iwconfig xxxx essid nnnnnnnn
> After these commands, the iwconfig output is:
>
> eth0      IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"melange" Nickname:"HERMES I"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.457 GHz  Access Point: None
>           Bit Rate:2 Mb/s   Sensitivity=1/3
>           Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality=0/92  Signal level=134/153  Noise level=134/153
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> Notice that the Bit Rate dropped to 2 Mb/s.

The card isn't yet associated; I suppose that's because you're using
WEP.

> My access point uses wep.  So I ran "iwconfig eth0 key s:XXXXXXXX".  The
> iwconfig output is:
>

> eth0      IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"melange" Nickname:"HERMES I"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point:  00:00:00:00:00:00
>           Bit Rate:2 Mb/s   Sensitivity=1/3
>           Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX   Security mode:open
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality=40/92  Signal level=-54 dBm  Noise level=-94 dBm
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> I sanitised the output with 0s and Xs.

I assume you mean that the output now reads 'Access Point: the actual
MAC address of your AP'?

> > 4) repeat step 2 - if the card is associated, you should see "Access Point: nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn"
>
> At this point, everything seems normal.  Now I try "dhclient eth0" and it times
> out without getting an ip address.  I don't think this is a hardware problem
> since everything works during the debian installer and when I had freebsd
> installed.

I would try without WEP and see what happens (deactivate it on the AP
and omit the 'iwconfig eth0 key s:XXXXXXXX' line).  Also, if you can
log into the AP (perhaps from another machine), see if it considers
your Debian machine to be associated.

> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris.