Re: Using an LPR printer under Wine

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:28:16 +0100
andy <geek_show@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> On my Etch machine, I am running a Windows programme (Quickbooks)
> under Wine. I tried to print a report but Quickbooks throws an error
> that no printer is installed and that I should use the Windows
> Control Panel to install a printer. I do have a printer installed, it
> is the default printer and it does work (I tested it under a
> different app).
>
> Any suggestions on how I might be able to get this to print reports
> (it's income tax time again, so the print outs are critical) using
> the default GNU/Linux set-up. Must I, for example, try to set up a
> printer under Wine as well (and if so, how on earth do I do that?),
> or are there some other workarounds?
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Andy

So tax softwares use Window$ all around the world :(
I managed to print from the one here in Hungary. I made a symbolic link
in /usr/local/bin:

ln -s /usr/bin/gtklp lpr

So, since /usr/local/bin precedes /usr/bin in my path, wine (and other
tools) use gtklp to print. This approach may also work for you while
you are waiting for your government to make their tax software
platform-independent.

PS: Specifying gtklp instead of lpr in ~/.wine/config somehow didn't
work.

--
Szia:
		Nyizsa.

Get a free email address with REAL anti-spam protection.
http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/1