Re: Linux Printer Sharing

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 12:59:43 -0500, ArcticFox wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2007, at 8:59 PM, steve wrote:
>
>> ArcticFox wrote:
>>> I have an HP printer that I would like to share to my other two
>>> computers. One's a Mac and the other's Windows. The printer will be
>>> connected to the server through USB, I can get the server to print to the
>>> printer, but I can't get the other two computers to find it.
>>>
>>> Please help, I've no idea what else to do!
>>>

>> cant help with the windows side, but the mac should have cups already
>> running.   try localhost:631 from a browser on the mac box and configure
>> from there. if cups isnt running or installed then install it first. then
>> administration -> add printer , location is the only thing that really
>> needs to be correct .......that would be /the ip of the linux
>> box/printers/name of the printer
>>
> Ok, I've done that but my mac can't seem to find the printer. I've got a
> message asking me for the 'Device URI' and I have no idea what it's looking
> for.

For an SMB-shared printer on a remote host, the DeviceURI should follow
this scheme:

smb://[username:password@]hostname[:port]/[printer_name]"

More information is available in the CUPS documentation:

http://localhost:631/help/spec-ipp.html#device-uri
http://localhost:631/help/ref-printers-conf.html#DeviceURI

          Florian   |