Scroll wheels not working after upgrade to etch/xorg

On doing a dist-upgrade which pulled in xorg I found my scroll wheels were
no longer working. Either they did nothing at all or they simulated the press
of some unknown key on the keyboard and activated all manner of keyboard
shortcuts that I didn't know existed.

The scroll wheels were still generating events, but not the right ones
any more.

Google merely turned up a few other baffled people with a similar problem.

The solution turned out to be to include

Option "Emulate3Buttons" "off"

in xorg.conf.

The existing xorg.conf simply had the Emulate3Buttons line commented out,
and it seems from the log file that xorg was defaulting to enabling
Emulate3Buttons. Explicitly disabling Emulate3Buttons got my scroll wheels
working again.

I hope someone somewhere finds this useful.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons        - -        Pigeon's Nest: http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/
GPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x21C61F7F