Re: postgresql help

Hi,

2007/9/15, Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz>:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 08:36:59PM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> > But somewhere I screwed up my postgresql-8.2 database installation.
> > I meant to set up the data directory on the RAID disk array
> > Unfortunately I deleted the /var/lib/postgresql/ directory and can't or
> > don't know what to do to fix it.
>
> You mean you have lost your data?

If you are just talking about creating an empty cluster in a new location

The debian wrappers for this are described in:

pg_createcluster,
pg_ctlcluster,
pg_dropcluster,
pg_lsclusters,
pg_maintenance

if i remember correctly. If you want to stay with postgres builtin
methods have a read at:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/creating-cluster.html

> Have you a recent backup?

if you really lost your data by accidentally having deleted the files
a recent backup is your only chance of getting back to where you were

hth
martin