Re: Accessing software programs from disk

On Wednesday 12 September 2007 16:16, violet penny wrote:
> I do hope I'm sending this to the right place. I find everything so
> confusing and difficult, here.
First of all;Why are you doing this at 4:16 A.M.(at least that's what shows up
on my systems mail server) If you are tired & frustrated you will not help
your situation.
So take a deep breath and RELAX.
We are all here to help you!!

> On the subject of which:  I can't find anything, anywhere, that tells me
> what's on these 20 additional CDs I've taken hours to download and burn
Did you label them at all ? Can you find the first disc, that should be the
install CD.
> [I'm not on-line with the computer I'm using to try out Etch]. They all
> look about the same, when I put the CD in and it opens on my desktop, and
> the only things inside the file folders are more file folders, denoted
> with letters of the alphabet, which lead to files with all kind of
> strange names, only some of which are occasionally familiar (like "java"
> and "nvidia" ["Hey! I think I've got one of those!]).
>
> Then there are the questions that will probably forever remain
> unanswered, like:  if there are sane frontends, does that mean there are
> INsane ones as well, and how can you tell them apart -- before it's too
> late? And how about the backends? Would they be crazy, too?
>
> If you haven't guessed it, I'm a rank newbie and a total non-techie. I've
> come to realize that Linux is probably well beyond my capabilities, and I
> will probably end up having to abandon the enterprise, as anxious as I am
> to be rid of "Big Brother" [Microsoft].
>
> I can't figure out how to get any extra programs into my computer,
> presuming I can see a list of them, first (preferably with a description
> of what the program is/does). The only one I could find to add was Open
> Office, because it's on the first disk, and Synaptic offered it to me.
> Even that was problematic, as there were several entries to choose from.
well the first thing you should do is read the manuals. You can do that
online. The main debian web site is a fantastic resource for you.

> If the  "... apt-get blah, blah ..."  command line thingmee is the only
> way to do this, then I'll just have to forget it:
I am inferring that you already have debian install (shown above) and that you
can run synaptic--is that correct??
see below.................
> even if I didn't have
> M.E. (a fatigue disorder), my middle-aged brain simply isn't capable of
> dealing with SO much new and totally unfamiliar data at once. It's just
> too much.
>
> If there is not a simple way to add programs, could someone then, PLEASE,
> have mercy on me and take the time to tell me how to completely uninstall
> this Debian program from my computer (including that GRUBby little petard
> who took over my computer on the first try and wouldn't let me access my
> BIOS, necessitating a very scary "fix" of the "mbr":
> "WARNING: Are you SURE you want to do this?!!! Making a mistake, here,
> could terminate all known life in the universe."   Well, it said
> SOMETHING like that, anyway ... )
>
> The computer I'm using for this is an Intel-type Pentium III (also loaded
> with Win 2000), with only 128 megs of RAM. One of my two CD-ROM drives
> has ceased to function under Linux, and the only other one is also my CD
> burner.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Purple Penny
OK we need facts:
1. What version of Debian do you have
2. Do the install cd's work
3. Are they labeled
4. Did you get Debian to install on the computer you are wanting to set up or
did the install fail.
5. Does this computer have internet access currently under Windows
6. Have you read the install manual for the cds you have

The quick solution to your issue is to get a copy of Unbuntu or some other
live cd to practice with or burn a live debian cd. However if you already
have a running console ( a login screen) on the computer you are using then
you are about half way there now!!
Start fresh; work clear headed!
--
John W. Foster