Re: firefox keeps grabbing huge chunks of my system

Type top
then type q to quit.
Post the first few lines to the list.

Could be java or javascript running.
Try turning them off:
Edit -> preferences
Content tab
uncheck java and javascript.
or go to the adanced button and turn off all the things java and
javascript can do.

Also browse through tabs and hit stop to see if the cpu goes down.

You could be out of dram.
Typre free and post what it says.