Re: looks better

Hi George,

Am Montag 10 September 2007 schrieb George Adamides:
> Dear Martin and all,
> Thank you for your help. OK I used the commands you suggested
> aptitude install xserver-xorg kde-core and
> aptitude install kdat
> and I believe things were OK.
>
> Now I have the following info
>
> >> george:/var/www/arinet.ari.gov.cy/docs/themes/phpkaox# cat
> >> /etc/debian_version 4.0
> >> george:/var/www/arinet.ari.gov.cy/docs/themes/phpkaox# cat
> >> /etc/apt/sources.list #deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main
> >> deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> >> deb-src http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> >> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
> >> deb http://dotdeb.pimpmylinux.org/ stable all
> >> deb-src http://dotdeb.pimpmylinux.org/ stable all
> >> george:/var/www/arinet.ari.gov.cy/docs/themes/phpkaox# apt-cache
> >> policy kdat kdat:
> >>   Installed: 4:3.5.5-4
> >>   Candidate: 4:3.5.5-4
> >>   Version Table:
> >>  *** 4:3.5.5-4 0
> >>         500 http://ftp.fi.debian.org stable/main Packages
> >>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

> OK, so please let me clarify this, does the above imply that I have
> Debian Etch now (since its version 4)?

Seems so - 4.0 is Debian Etch. In order to find out whether all packages
were upgraded to Debian Etch, you can use my apt-show-version grep
examples, but when aptitude upgrade doesn't want to upgrade any packages
and does not hold any packages back, you are on Debian Etch since you
have "stable" in your /etc/apt/sources.list.

If aptitude upgrade / dist-upgrade wants to update packages or holds some
back there are still packages that are not upgraded to Debian Etch.

> How do I start KDE?

startx

or install a display manager with

aptitude install kdm

> Last, do I
> run kdat from within KDE or can I use command line at the command
> prompt to run kdat?

It need to access a running X server and KDE I think. I did not look
closer at kdat, but if it does not have a command line mode it will need
a way to display its GUI.

Regards,