Re: how to compile a xen dom0 kernel the debian way

Hi Jonas,

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 03:03:09PM +0200, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> On 09/09/2007 Andy Smith wrote:
> > Hi Jonas,
>
> Hey Andi,
>
> > > i would like to give xen a try, but i didn't manage to compile a dom0
> > > host kernel yet.
> >
> > Do you need to?  What is wrong with Debian's xen kernels?
>
> I don't think that there's anything wrong with debian's default kernels,
> but I always use a selfcompiled kernel, and I'dd like to learn howto
> compile a xen dom0 kernel as well.

Okay.  Well It has been a long time (6 months+) since I did this as
these days the stock debian xen kernels are fine for me, but..

> > You can use the normal Debian kernel source and compile like you
> > would normally, making sure to select the xen patch.
>
> Unfortunately, this simply doesn't work. If I run 'make menuconfig' in
> debians linux-source-2.6.22 sources, I don't get any xen options in
> the submenu 'processor-type and features'.

So you have also installed linux-patch-debian-* and then done:

$ sudo make-kpkg --added-patches xen clean
$ sudo make-kpkg --added-patches xen kernel-image

?

Also back when I did it, this bug was present and needed the
described workaround:

That is what I mean by "making sure to select the xen patch".  It's
the same process as used for making your own linux-vserver kernel.

If you still have problems I would recommend the debian xen package
mailing list.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB