Re: Always falling to grub prompt

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 01:15:58PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Victor Munoz(vmunoz@macul.ciencias.uchile.cl) is reported to have said:
> > On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 10:53:20PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:

> It might be just me, as I have never seen/heard of a system set up
> that way.  I have always put my HD's on the promary IDE interfaces (A
> & B) and the CD/DVD's on the secondary IDE interfaces (C & D).  It may
> or may not be necessary but that is how I always have seen it done.

Not necessarily.  Since performance is poor if you have two hard drives
on one controller (e.g. hda and hdb), I've always put the boot drive as
the first hard drive (e.g. hda) since that is what some BIOSs look for.
Then removeable media on hdb, a second hard (if used) on hdc, then other
media on hdd.

Also, don't confuse Grub's hd0 or hd1 as necessarily /dev/hda or
/dev/hdb.  Grub goes with the order of drives as the BIOS sees them.

The other question you've received is also valid:  is this Etch, why a
custom kernel, what errors with a normal kernel, etc.

Is there a reason that you didn't put your boot hard drive as the first
drive on the first controller?  Since I haven't run M$ since 3.1, I
don't know what would happen if you swapped the drives around.

Doug.