etch - how to relax security of xconsole and Xnest

Hi,

When I try and run 'xconsole' as a normal user, I get the error message "Couldn't open console'.

When I try to use Xnest to get a root x login (gdm), I get the error message 'System administrator is not allowed to login to this screen'.

I understand the need for secuity, but would like to be able see xconsole as a normal user and Xnest into localhost as root occasionally.

I did man xconsole - nothing relevant came up; also man console_ioctls - nothing relevant came up.

I have also reduced my x security so that root can remotely login via gdm from other machines on the local net - specifically via xdmcp from either Exceed, XWin32 or even Xnest from cygwin on a windoze box.

Trouble is Xnest on the lcoalhost can't...

Can anyone help with these two niggling problems?

Thanks,

Martin