Re: Unblocking sound card, or adding stream (newbie)

On 09/06/2007 11:30 PM, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> I have a laptop with a sound card that only supports a
> single stream. (People on #debian helped me figure
> this out.) This is annoying not because i want to play
> twelve different sypmhonies at once through high-def
> systems, but just so i can listen to music while
> getting beeps from Gaim, or whatever.
>
> If theres no way to do this, bummer i guess. But my
> problem is that sometimes i seem to have something
> blocking the sound card and i cant figure out what it
> is. I dont THINK im running any sound thing ,but then
> if i try to run xmms i get a "something's blocking
> your sound card" message, or if i play a YouTube video
> i just get no sound at all.
>
> When this happens, how do i find out what's blocking
> hte sound card, and how do i kill this so i can play
> what i want?

Hi -- Are you running etch?  I had this issue and posted my solution to
the list on 21 Apr 2007, Subject: SOLVED Re: Sound mixing: Help
configure dmix for flash, xmms, totem or make default.

Maybe that message in the archives could help.

Let us know.

Ralph