Unblocking sound card, or adding stream (newbie)

I have a laptop with a sound card that only supports a
single stream. (People on #debian helped me figure
this out.) This is annoying not because i want to play
twelve different sypmhonies at once through high-def
systems, but just so i can listen to music while
getting beeps from Gaim, or whatever.

If theres no way to do this, bummer i guess. But my
problem is that sometimes i seem to have something
blocking the sound card and i cant figure out what it
is. I dont THINK im running any sound thing ,but then
if i try to run xmms i get a "something's blocking
your sound card" message, or if i play a YouTube video
i just get no sound at all.

When this happens, how do i find out what's blocking
hte sound card, and how do i kill this so i can play
what i want?

Thanks.

Jen