Re: why sarge is so noisy

Julian De Marchi:
> Serena Cantor wrote:
>> Thanks! Could you give me a list of programs that start automatically? Do
>> you mean that there's
>> nothing I can do about it?
>
> <snip>
>
> Silly question.

No, it's not a silly question.

Serena, of course you can do something about it. It's linux, afterall.
You can use the commands 'ps' or 'top' to have a look what is currently
running. Then look into /etc/rc2.d/ which contains links to all scripts
that are run at boot. Search the net and read how the init system works
and finally remove any services you don't currently need.

Another thing that came to my mind: if you are using a journaling
filesystem (like ext3 which I think is Debian's default), the journal
will be regularly committed to disk which causes disk spinups every ~5
seconds.

J.
--
Quite often I wonder why I am not more famous and/or more wealthy.
[Agree]   [Disagree]